Tuesday 25 June 2013

Difference between advertising for a product and service

I need to research into the difference between advertising for a service and advertising for a product. This will help me decide and start narrowing down to help me brainstorm ideas. Whilst in this process, I can weigh up the positives and negatives of advertising for a service and advertising for a product to see which one I could do the best.

Advertising a product

I can choose any type of product to advertise which can range from - item's of clothing's, food, drink to a car or vehicle. Therefore, I could choose from a range of products I could advertise for. However, I need to consider how I will make the product unique e.g. logo and design, and how I can transform the design onto a product. This may be a problem as I would have to ensure my product looks professional and authentic. 

The benefits of advertising product:
  • Creates exposure to the brand
  • Based on a product not a company (not complicated)
Disadvantages:
  • If not done well, the advert might not look authentic

On the other hand, I have the option to advertise a service. Advertising for a service is very different from a product as there is no main item which I could advertise for therefore audience rely on the advert to attract them and make them want to engage in the company. 

The benefits for advertising for a service:
  • As no items will be involved, the advert is more likely to look real and professional
  • Sophistication 
  • Attract a wider audience as it is not a specific item 
  • Services are more viewed as an essential and a need more than a want (e.g. car insurance)
The disadvantages:
  • Services are for a wider audience which is risky as niche is more reliable (have a set target audience) 

No comments:

Post a Comment