Wednesday 17 July 2013

What progression I want to achieve whilst in A2


As I have now picked my production brief, chosen an idea and have started my research, I want to reflect upon the skills I have already achieved in the last 6 weeks which have developed from AS, and the skills that I am hoping to achieve. I want to ensure I know my my weaknesses and strengths so that in the period of time of the research, planning, creating, post production I can set a goal for myself so that I am able to progress in Media Studies.

Over the last year of doing my AS coursework, it is evident that digital technology has had a large impact on my learning and the actual creation of my AS product. I am now currently working towards my A2 coursework product and within the period of time I have to create it, digital technology is deemed as significant in the process. Over the last 6 weeks, I have used digital technology to research, which even though I had to do a lot of research in AS, I think I could develop the skills when in the process of A2. Moreover, as I am still in the process of researching, I have not been able to use a camera for a draft of my product. Last year I think I handled the camera at an average level as I did find using the camera reasonably hard as it was new to me, and often got perplexed on what angles to used and mostly changed the shots. This year I would like to be able to write all the camera shots and angles down and be able to do them instead of them looking bad and changing them. Therefore, this year I am hoping to achieve more advanced skills in camera work so that when I storyboard, it will not be a waste of time as I will use it and know every camera shot. Furthermore, last year me and my group split the editing skills between us, making it even amount of editing each. None of us were very experienced which meant our editing wasn't advanced as it could have been. One of my group members (Callum), did all of the advanced editing which I was not prepared to do. I took control of the simple editing which was important, but I found was quite simple. Therefore, over the next few months I would like to learn advanced editing skills so that when it comes to editing, I can use these skills and ensure my product is the best it can be. I am also hoping to develop my editing skills in general as this year I will be taking on the full editing, with only little guidance which means I have to ensure my skills are to the best they can be. Additionally, even though I used Adobe Premiere to edit the sound, I had to use voice recorders to actually record the sound. I found using the voice recorders easy therefore if I need to use them in A2, I will think I will be able to use them easily. Overall, I am hoping to exceed in my skills in digital technology in the process of the A2 coursework. I have learned a diverse amount of skills in AS but I want to ensure in the process of A2 coursework, they are advanced.


In my AS coursework, due to being in a group with three other members, it was reasonably easy to think up ideas, share them and develop them. However, as in A2, I have to think up all the ideas on my own, I want to ensure I mind map as much as possible. From researching the three briefs, I was most into adverts. When choosing this brief, I then started to think about brainstorming. In AS, I do not think my skills in brainstorming were very advanced as I did one, which was shared ideas between the group. However, I now need to ensure I am thinking up all the ideas I can so that I will find the best idea. Throughout the process of research, I want to be open to idea changes as I want my original idea to develop so that I can achieve the greatest idea for my product. At the moment, I have started researching but I do want to be able to adjust, and change my idea as I think when coming to planning and story boarding, the vision I have now will sub consciously change or adjust slightly. Therefore, whilst in the creation of my A2 coursework I want to develop advanced skills of creativity which will help me in the planning, creation and post production of my product.

Throughout my AS coursework, post production was a very important part. I think throughout post production in AS, I struggled as it was my first time making an opening sequence. I am hoping in my A2 coursework that I can develop skills in post production that will help me create the best product achievable. This year and next year, I want to be able to edit and create my product up to high standards. To ensure I gain these skills, I need to ensure I know what I need to do to achieve the skills: e.g. if I want to add any effects to my product, I need to know how to do them before post production. I think I will find post production the most difficult which means I need to make sure I take my time in the process of post production, but ensure I am keeping up with the deadlines.

Last year, research and planning helped me when it came to creating my product. I am hoping to develop the skills I learnt in the course of the AS coursework, and improve them in the process of my A2 coursework. I want to ensure my researching skills are up to a high standard so that I can gain as much knowledge as possible (about the brief I picked and the idea I am looking into) so that I can develop the original idea I have. I want to make sure I am not just researching online, that I am also looking in books and articles so that I can view different ways to approach the advertising task. Furthermore, when it comes to planning, I want to ensure I have a stable idea, even if I end up adjusting and changing it because I can work towards the final product, letting myself change and make it better on the way. Throughout the planning stage, I want to have a detailed storyboard and detailed mind maps so that I have as much information and idea's as possible, which will result in my product (hopefully) being successful. Additionally, whilst researching (last year) I had to link into real media products which had a large impact on my product as I sub consciously developed or challenged ideas from thriller films. In my A2 media coursework, I want to make sure whilst researching I find out the codes and conventions of the type of advert I am doing. I want to do this because I can develop or challenge the conventions from real media products. Therefore, I am hoping to develop my skills of research and planning from AS as I am now researching and planning on my own meaning that I have to think up and plan all alone. 

Overall, I am hoping to develop all of my skills that I learnt in AS, to ensure I achieve the greatest quality product I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment