Monday 23 September 2013

Recapping on radio adverts

I feel that I have built up my knowledge on radio adverts in the last few weeks whilst researching. I now want to recap everything I have learnt when it comes to radio advertising. Radio adverts are similar to sponsorship and TV adverts, however, radio adverts need to get their point across quicker and need to introduce the brand in the beginning. This is because sponsorship and TV adverts are visual and therefore the props or actors in the advert may be linked to the brand, however, radio adverts are not visual and therefore can only can recognised by the sound. 

Codes and conventions of radio adverts
  • The title of the brand, product or service is introduced straight away so that the audience are initially are aware of what the advert is advertising. 
  • The advert can last up to 45 seconds. However, radio adverts usually last up to 30.
  • Persuasive language is used throughout despite what the advert is trying to promote; I have usually noticed - rhetorical questions and direct address.
  • Background music creating an effect - e.g. creating a calming tone, or creating a type of atmosphere e.g. theme park background noise in the background of a Thorpe park/Alton Towers advert
  • All speakers, despite age and gender, are spoke clearly and eloquently so that the audience can clearly understand what the speaker is stating.
  • Speakers also speak in a friendly tone to ensure the audience is engaged
Therefore, I feel that I understand the codes and conventions of radio adverts. However, it is up to me whether I develop the conventions or challenge them. In my planning, I will look back and refer to the adverts I have analysed to remind myself of the conventions of radio adverts.

No comments:

Post a Comment