Tuesday 17 September 2013

What I have learnt from my advert analysis?

I feel that I have reached a stage where I do have a wide understanding on adverts and the techniques they use to lure the audience in. Analysing numerous adverts has taught me what camera angles are effective, what sound creates excitement and joy, how the editing helps create an atmosphere and tone within the advert, and how the mise-en-scene creates representation as well as sending messages about the company or service through the advert.

What I have learned about camera angles and shots?

I have looked at adverts that provide a service or sell products. However, despite the service or product the majority of the camera angles used have the same effect. From analysing adverts I have found out that long and wide shots are frequently used. It is normally shown to show a specific environment which is relevant to the product or service. This is something I may aim to include in my advert because wide shots allow the audience in viewing a lot of the scenery. Additionally, long shots let the audience view the speaker, or significant objects in the scene. Moreover, close ups also are used, however, normally they are used to create a thrilling atmosphere. Furthermore, high angles are not used much in adverts as they are normally used when the director wants the audience to look down on something or someone. However, low angles are used when presenting characters (especially when presenting a service). Often adverts present characters in a superior way, to ensure they look happy with the service - making it seem  as if the service makes customers happy and superior.

What have I learned about editing?

From analysing adverts, I have learned what editing techniques directors use and why. There are obviously different kinds of adverts e.g; presentation, humorous etc. Therefore, I have viewed and witnessed different editing styles for various reasons. One editing style I saw frequently was fast paced editing which created a tense atmosphere, luring the audience into what may happen next. However, slow paced editing created more of a humorous tone in the adverts which made them more memorable. Moreover, special effects such as black and white made the advert look either old fashioned or sophisticated - dependant on the scenery and characters.

Mise-en-scene?

After analysing many adverts I found that in most adverts it is high key lighting - as if the sun is shining so that it creates a joyful atmosphere. However, when I analysed a Christmas advert, the lighting was low key as it links into winter and the idea of Santa delivering late at night. All main actors or significant props were centralised at least once in the advert to show their significance.

Sound?
 
I feel that sound was very contrasting in all adverts. From analysing various adverts I found out that sound is very significant as it sets the scene. Sound is used to create many types of different atmospheres like; creating a soothing atmosphere (slow sound), or creating a thrilling atmosphere by using fast joyful sounds, or creating a humorous tone as the sound is parallel to the action. Moreover, each advert which had a speaker, despite the gender, talked very eloquently and clear. Therefore, I need to ensure that if I am having a speaker it is clear to what he/she is saying.

Additionally, I feel that I do have a broad understanding on adverts. However, I took the time to do some secondary research to widen my knowledge on adverts.
 
- Using someone famous or well known to sell a product / brand e.g. Usain Bolt represents Virgin
- Memorable popular songs to ensure the audience can easily recognise the brand
- Catchy slogans
- Unusual or humorous e.g. the Cadbury's gorilla advert
- Eloquently spoken voice overs (Clear spoken speaker which ranges between male and female)
- 30-40 seconds long
- Advert ends with slogan/brand or service name
 
 
Source for extra research
 

No comments:

Post a Comment